Re: Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Charles Curley wrote:
On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 03:07:55PM -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
Paul Smith wrote:
On 8/30/06, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm about to add an 80G sata second drive to a Dell 2.8G XP computer

I assume the present drive is entirely formatted as a Windows partition, it's a factory install?

Probably. But easy enough to check:

fdisk -l /dev/hda
XP does not recognize the command "fdisk."

Now once I get Linux installed it will work.

BobG

PS:  Presently heavy rain has cut off my sat. signal.  I will
send this later.

That's why I elected to use a second drive for Linux. The existing drive is 80G and 10G would be more than enough for XP which gets little use ...

Actually, you can get XP and Linux to cohabit on the same drive by
shrinking XP's NTFS partition(s). For the gory details of how I did
it, see http://www.charlescurley.com/Lenovo.R51.html.

As for grub, I wasn't sure how to have grub boot XP, so I installed it
on the Linux boot partition, and have Linux as the default in XP's
ntdetect.com.