Re: configuring a router behind a DSL modem and bittorrent [Solved]

On Wednesday August 30 2006 12:23 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
> For a linksys product, AFAIK you can log in and change that stuff (port
> forwarding) anytime.  If theres a disturbance in the data flow, I haven't
> noticed it.

Thanks, Gene - see below - got to gets up too early to try this now, but, now
at least, I'm on track.

> >Taharka: I got around to trying this, and everything seemed to be OK,
> > except I couldn't get out to the net. There's an additional page linked
> > to from that site, and I'll have to take a look, as it is for the
> > exceptions that don't just work. It turns out they had a section for my
> > DSL Modem, and I just missed that on first glance. One thing that's
> > seemingly disconcerting, is that you don't seem to be able to connect to
> > the DSL modem using the web address once you put in in bridge mode and
> > save. The only way I could get back was to reset the thing with the
> > hardware button, and that then forced me to go through the whole
> > registration process again with Verizon. But, I'm back to where I was.

For the record - the instructions Taharka sent had a supplemental page link
for problem configurations. It involved cloning the MAC address of the DSL
modem to my router. Once this was accomplished, things started falling into
place. One anomaly I was initially thrown by is that the DSL modem internet
LED no longer lights up - I guess that functionality is taken over by the
router which is what actually now logs in to the Verizon network. I had to
reboot several PC's, and both router and modem, to get everything back up and
working. My internet came back on this machine I'm typing on, but mail
didn't, till after a reboot. In any event, I've learned a lot, and all is
well. I'll move on to port forwarding tomorrow, and see if I can get
bittorrent going, next. Thanks, again, Taharka.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA