Re: yum update os?

Jim Cornette wrote:
Marc wrote:
Can I do a yum update from FC5 to the latest FC6? How hard is that to do?
Marc

It is possible. You first need to download and install the fedora-release package with rpm, once FC6 is released. It still has awhile to go for release. Test 3 starts Sept 11th. The release is afterward.

Next you need to run yum -y upgrade at a minimum. You should be at runlevel 3 and in a terminal as root to do this. If the X server resets while you are upgrading, a big mess happens to your system and the rpm database.

Also, you might want to upgrade yum first before continuing. Then take care of any packages that were removed or changed drastically.

I recently ran this process on an FC4 to FC5 system and it left an /etc/fstab file with an entry which interfered with the mounting of a CD as user. There were no major problems except for needing to update packages which used hotplug, which was removed for FC5 and then upgrade initscripts and other packages before I could get the upgrade going. Upgrading from FC5 to FC6 might have other problems which need addressed before you can upgrade. You might want to read the release notes before attempting the upgrade.

I suggest downloading the media and allowing the installer for FC6 to upgrade your system. The developers should have taken action to make upgrading from FC5 to FC6 easier. They cannot catch all problems, but do catch a lot of reported or discovered bugs.

Upgrading via yum takes a lot of time over my cable network. There might be unanticipated problems upgrading with yum.

Jim

I have the livna repo installed, so theoretically if I wait until FC6 final and the livna repo to catch up, all I have to do is install the fedora-release rpm and do like you said, right?