kernel panic

Hi,
  Last week I submitted a request for help concerning a kernel panic during a
RAM upgrade. First, thanks to everyone who had suggestions. Second, I solved
the problem and thought that I would just give a short summary.
  The machine is an 8-way 64-bit Tyan AMD Opteron machine, originally with 8
GB of RAM. My wish was to upgrade to 16 GB since the machine is used for some
very memory-intensive numerical simulations. So, my IT folks ordered 8
additional memory modules (since they would prefer that researchers such as
myself not place orders), but upon popping in 4 of the new modules, I
received a kernel panic on re-boot. Returning to the original memory
configuration did not solve the problem, and I was left with a dead machine.
  The motherboard has 4 CPUs, each with a 4-slot memory bank. Then there is an
expansion board with an additional 4 CPUs and 4 additional memory banks. The
problem in the end was simple. The new modules are PC2700, while the
originals are PC3200 (thanks IT). Mixing them in a single bank did not work.
Also, the BIOS apparently made some modifications upon the first re-boot that
hosed its original configuration. To solve the problem, I've reset the BIOS
to operate all the modules at 166 MHz instead of 200 MHz. Then I installed 4
of the new modules in each of two CPU banks on the expansion board, and
increased the remaining two banks to 2 GB each with older PC3200 modules. Oh,
and set the BIOS to read the memory-type automatically (it is a Phoenix
BIOS). No kernel or other OS modifications were necessary. I determined early
on that the problem was hardware-based by attempting a boot with a Kubuntu
64-bit live CD, but got a similar kernel panic. The trick was to not mix the
module types for a single CPU.
  The system now has 16GB RAM, and while the RAM is running a bit slower, we
are after increased memory, not really increased speed (it's pretty fast as
is). This is not an optimal solution or memory configuration, and I plan to
eventually replace the PC2700 modules with 3200s, and funds permit.
  Oh, one last thing. One person pointed out that memtest86 does not work with
ECC RAM, but I was able to run it from the Kubuntu CD, though not from the
Fedora rescue disc. Any ideas?
Peter
--
Dr. Peter D. Roopnarine, Assoc. Curator
Department of Invertebrate Zoology & Geology

Phone: (415) 321-8271
FAX: (415) 321-8615
http://zeus.calacademy.org/roopnarine/peter.htm
"Description must be nonlinear, and prediction must be linear."
Alan M. Turing