Re: Fwd: How to prevent uploads of broken packages

Hi,

On 8/29/06, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 20:43 +0200, Axel Liljencrantz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The evolution and gnome-panel packages for Fedora have had broken
> dependencies causing them to be impossible to update for almost 3
> months.

Which Fedora release are you using, which versions of these packages do
you have installed, and what happens when you do "yum update"?

I neglected to include that information because before writing my
original email, I did a search and found that this exact problem
reported to this list on June 5 of this year (see
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-June/msg00548.html).
Sorry if I jumped to the wrong conclusions in assuming this was the
same problem, still unfixed. Anyway, this was confirmed as a package
bug in that thread. I just tried an update now, with the same results
as in that message but with different version numbers:

root@hellboy /h/axel> yum update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
core                                                                 [1/4]
ftp://redhat.taygeta.com/pub/RedHat/fedora/core/5/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] timed out
Trying other mirror.
core                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
updates                                                              [2/4]
updates                   100% |=========================| 1.2 kB    00:00
freshrpms                                                            [3/4]
freshrpms                 100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
extras                                                               [4/4]
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package evolution-sharp.i386 0:0.10.2-9.5 set to be updated
---> Package gnome-panel.i386 0:2.14.3-1.fc5 set to be updated
---> Package gnome-panel-devel.i386 0:2.14.3-1.fc5 set to be updated
---> Package evolution.i386 0:2.6.3-1.fc5.5 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.6 for package: evolution-sharp
--> Processing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.6 for package: evolution
--> Processing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.6 for package: gnome-panel
--> Processing Dependency: libegroupwise-1.2.so.10 for package: evolution
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.6 is needed by package evolution-sharp
Error: Missing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.6 is needed by package evolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.6 is needed by package gnome-panel
Error: Missing Dependency: libegroupwise-1.2.so.10 is needed by
package evolution

I assumed that since at that time it was confirmed as a bug in the
package, and since the error message looks identical, that this was
the same bugl. If this is a new bug, then I am sorry about the
confusion and wish to report this as a brand new bug. I am using an
(otherwise) fully patched FC5, just like the original reporter.

Since at least the original bug was caused by the upload of a package
that had incorrect dependencies, I resubmit that the package building
process could be improved to better check that a new batch of packages
only depend on themselves and packages already in fedora.

Whilst there have been problems with these packages in the past, I
haven't seen any recently, and I still have boxes running all Fedora
releases (though the FC2 box is a server and probably doesn't have
evolution installed).

Paul.

--
Axel