Re: What is the language "British"?

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 09:33, Jonathan Allen wrote:
>Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I was taught 60 years ago never to write "lot", "got" or "nice",
>> but that is a hard diet to follow.
>
>But it is very good advice, nevertheless.  If more people took greater
>care with their composition, language would not have deteriorated to
>the degree to which it has.  Another good rule is never to end a sentence
>with a preposition.
>
>Two things really irritate me about current speech habits:
>
>   1. the inability to finish a sentence (or even a thought); people
>      will start a sentence four, five or more times, breaking off
>      half-way through and starting again in different words or on a
>      slightly different tack although, strangely enough, sometimes
>      using exactly the same words all over again - and finally reaching
>      some kind of conclusion, often qualified with "you know"
>
>   2. the pernicious abuse of the word 'like', especially prevalent when
>      coupled with some form of the verb to be; "it was like, you know"
>      followed by some facial expression, "she was like, awesome" and
>      its ilk; "I'm er like partied out"
>
>Jonathan

Chuckle, but while its somewhat funny, its also an indication that our
educational system is today, a dismal failure when high school graduates
have trouble properly using even a 1200 word vocabulary.  By the time I
was through the 8th grade, I had been tested at about the 3000 mark, and I
sincerely hope I have added another 5000 or more, although little used, to
my working vocabulary.  Its indeed frustrating when I'm trying to explain
something to a Joe/Jill Sixpack and get interrupted well before I've laid
the foundation of the explanation just because I've used the technically
proper word for something, but its not in their mental dictionary.

The biggest mistake (IMNSHO) was dropping phonetics as a study in itself,
without that base, a new words meaning is often nearly complete gibberish
to later students of the language who do not have that base of how to take
word apart to derive its meaning, or to build a new word that better
defines a meaning, in their educational background.  IMO, the wholesale
failures of the educational system of today can largely be laid to the
result of dropping phonetics from the curriculum.

I was fortunate in that my grammer school education took place in the State
of Iowa, where, back in the 40's, we were extremely proud of being the
most literate state in the union with a 99.9% literacy rate.  No
educational system is doing its students any life favors when the high
school graduating class is composed of 20+% functionally illiterate
students, but they graduate anyway because of the un-funded no child left
behind act.

The financing of those truely exellent Iowa schools then was exclusively
from the profits of the state run liquor stores, with the only beer being
3.2% over the counter or in pool halls.  Then some damned goody two-shoes
got the bright idea that the state really shouldn't be in the business of
selling alcoholic beverages and sold all the liquor stores to private
enterprise, leaving only a limited state alcohol tax & the rest of the tax
base to make up for the losses.

This resulted in a rather severe tightening of educational budgets because
the legislature was reluctant to maintain the funding level by loading up
more taxes elsewhere, and the result today is as disastrous as it was
predictable (by intelligent people) then.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)