Re: Samba: the network name cannot be found

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 16:02 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 8/29/06, Rodolfo Alcazar <rodolfo.alcazar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I have installed samba in order to be able to exchange files with a
> > > VMWare server, where I have a MS Windows virtual machine. I configured
> > > samba with Webmin and it was working fine yesterday. However, today I
> > > am using a different share directory. Surprisingly, I cannot open that
> > > new share directory (from MS Windows), as I always get the following
> > > message:
> > >
> > > «\\Localhost\mydirectory is not accessible.
> > > The network name cannot be found.»
> >
> > Well, vmware has another focus to share directories, the so-called
> > shared folders. try accessing .\\host\
> >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > Yep.
> >
> > a) try \\ip_number
> > b) try adding your hostname (must be the same hostname) in
> > c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts
> > c) recheck your permissions, firewall settings, and so on.
>
> OK, Rodolfo. How can I find out the IP number of my FC5 machine to try
> to access it from VMWare?

Well, I dont know what are you are talking about. If you can handle
webmin, and samba, I dont. Besides.. which way?

Supposing you want to avoid samba. To access your linux from vmware,
without using samba, open vmware, select your windows
installation/settings/options/shared folders/ and add a shared folder,
say "paul -  /home/paul - enabled"; run your windows, open your file
explorer and write textually

.\\host\paul\

then press the enter key.

Good luck!