Re: Samba: the network name cannot be found

On 8/29/06, Rodolfo Alcazar <rodolfo.alcazar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have installed samba in order to be able to exchange files with a
> VMWare server, where I have a MS Windows virtual machine. I configured
> samba with Webmin and it was working fine yesterday. However, today I
> am using a different share directory. Surprisingly, I cannot open that
> new share directory (from MS Windows), as I always get the following
> message:
>
> «\\Localhost\mydirectory is not accessible.
> The network name cannot be found.»

Well, vmware has another focus to share directories, the so-called
shared folders. try accessing .\\host\

> Any ideas?

Yep.

a) try \\ip_number
b) try adding your hostname (must be the same hostname) in
c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts
c) recheck your permissions, firewall settings, and so on.

OK, Rodolfo. How can I find out the IP number of my FC5 machine to try
to access it from VMWare?

Paul