Re: su, su -, sudo

Now that make sense :)

On 8/29/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gayal asked:
>>>  Wuts the different between su, su - root and sudo ?

Jafar concisely answered:
>>  su will let you run a shell with substitute user without
>> making the shell a login shell.
>>  su - will let you run a shell with substitute user and make the shell
>> a login shell. If you put no username, it assumes as root (same as su)

Minor elaboration:   "su - root" is the same as "su -".  While the
omission or inclusion of the username is the same in "su" as "su -", the
response could have been interpreted as "su -" = "su".

>>  sudo will let you run certain or all commands as if you are
>> root, depending on the settings on visudo file.

Gayal replied:
> Ur answere is too complex :)
> can u be more simple :D

How about this then, five characters:  - r o t d

;-p

I read messages from the public lists.