Same command name; different versions; one Fedora...

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm not sure what you are saying.
> I only have one "echo" program /bin/echo and one "true" program /bin/true .
> I would find it confusing if I had two programs /bin/echo and /sbin/echo
> which did slightly different things.

You also have echo built into bash. If you type (say)
$ echo Trinity College Dublin
into bash, bash *won't* call /bin/echo, but use its own internal
variant. Try
$ type echo
$ type yum
and look at the differences.

(There seems to be an echo built into ksh, csh, the Bourne shell, and
most derivatives.)

And, on Fedora, try
$ echo --version
$ /bin/echo --version.

tcsh's echo has its own oddities depending on how echo_style is set.

I'm sorry if I'm shattering some of your illusions here. But there is a
lot of Unix precedent for things that do *much* the same thing to be
called by the same name.

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | Never ask, "Oh, why were things so much better in the