Re: Reconstructing /var/spool directory

Przemyslaw Gawronski wrote:
> Actually I was hoping that for example
> postfix has an option to run with that would reconstruct the needed
> directories or something like that. How naive of me :-)

Postfix doesn't, but you should always be able to uninstall and
reinstall the RPM. Make sure that you keep a copy of the /etc/postfix
directory, so you've got all your configuration.

In *this* case, I'd even recommend using the --no-deps flag (to ignore
dependencies), since you'll be restoring the same RPM immediately
afterwards.

Alternatively, you could use rpm2cpio to turn the Postfix RPM into a
CPIO archive and extract the /var/spool/postfix stuff from that. I
wouldn't recommend using rpm -ql, because although you'll get the names,
you won't get whether they're files or directories, and you won't get
permissions (which is important with something like Postfix).

I'd disconnect from the network until you're sure everything's happy.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | "Land Rover say it is permanent, I say I have a large
aprilcottage.co.uk | selection of spanners and a big hammer..."