Re: MS Windows through QEMU

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Monday 28 August 2006 14:12, Paul Smith wrote:
On 8/28/06, Mauriat Miranda <mirandam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
performance is.... slow.
you should also install the kqemu software (non free, so take it from
livna) to get a bit more speed.
I found XP/2000 too slow, but 98/NT4 rather smooth.

Is it simple the installation?
If you search deeper, you can find some rpm way tutorial to install
qemu/kqemu.
qemu is included in fedora extras:

# yum install qemu

The kernel accelerator helps significantly:
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/qemu/0.8.1/fc5/
Thanks to both. I thought I had found something more perfect than
CrossOver... :-)

I have seen a PowerPoint presentation, running on XP, given to a LUG by one of the developers. The speed was such that no-one realised that it was running under qemu until he closed down XP. Maybe it's a hardware issue, or maybe there is tuning to be done. I don't know. What I do know is that it's the only time I have ever seen that audience burst into spontaneous applause. It was truly impressive.

Anne

I agree with you Anne. If you use the QEMU kernel accelerator and run qemu with enough RAM, you can get excellent performance. I've installed Win2000, WinXP, FC5, and Ubuntu 6.06 as guest OSes and they all ran well and quite fast. I also use Qemu to run linux live CDs.

--Kenny