Re: Is printing broken in FC5?

El dom, 27-08-2006 a las 17:51 -0700, Douglas Phillipson escribió:
> system-config-printer won't come up.  It asks for my password, but the
> GUI never appears.  Anybody else have this problem?  I also tried the
> localhost:631 route and although I can create a printer, I can't print
> to it (it's a USB hp1020).  I'm using the foo2zjs driver which worked
> fine under FC4. ( http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/)
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug P

You should go through Desktop > Administration > Printing (printconf
command). What I can see in my system is that system-config-printer is
just a symbolic link to the printconf command. Maybe you've got messed
up permissions or something... Check this:

[mikhail@Ulises ~]$ ls -l /usr/sbin/printconf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 354 ago 11 12:38 /usr/sbin/printconf

Apart from that, is your system updated and with no dependency
conflicts?

Is your printer directly attached to the box or maybe you're talking
about a network printer?
It seems that there are some problems in the current stable version of
CUPS (v.1.2.2) but related with IPP protocol -as far as I know, so
printing locally shouldn't be affected.

BTW, when you talk about a USB HP 1020 you really mean HP 1120 Deskjet,
don't you? I don't know much about printer models but 1020 doesn't
appear into any list I've seen.

More, I think you should be able to configure it with some hp* driver,
not sure at all but foo2zjs sounds to me some way strange...

Anyway, you should be able to choose a GENERIC printer when configuring,
and then the Postscript driver would be a good choice..

Cheers