Re: Boot with bad superblock in root fs

Jeff Vian wrote:
On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 20:49 -0500, Jay Cliburn wrote:
Charles Curley wrote:
On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 07:57:19PM -0500, Jay Cliburn wrote:
Is it possible to boot a Linux system that has suffered unfixable primary superblock corruption in the root filesystem (ext2)? I know the mount command can be supplied an alternate superblock with the sb option, but AFAIK, the earliest this can be done is by setting the option for the failing partition in /etc/fstab. But of course, root must already be mounted for that to apply.

Is there any Way to specify an alternate superblock to initrd to mount the root filesystem?
Can you boot to a live CD, fix the errant partition, and then reboot?
Finnix should do you.
Actually, the problem isn't with my system, but with that of an acquaintance, and no, the primary superblock refuses to be fixed with e2fsck -b executed from Ubuntu LiveCD.

Maybe you can use one of the alternate superblocks when running e2fsck
on that filesystem.  After all, that is why they are there.

That's what e2fsck -b does.