Re: Is printing broken in FC5? (Solution)

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 18:33 -0700, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> > system-config-printer won't come up.  It asks for my password, but the
> > GUI never appears.  Anybody else have this problem?  I also tried the
> > localhost:631 route and although I can create a printer, I can't print
> > to it (it's a USB hp1020).  I'm using the foo2zjs driver which worked
> > fine under FC4. ( http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/)
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Doug P
> >

> Had to upload the firmware to the printer.  The print er now works via
> localhost:631, but system-config-printer still does not appear...
>
> Doug P

That is the cups config interface, and is the preferred method of
configuration.

in relation to your problem with the usb connection, try this.
1. disconnect the usb cable to the printer.
2. reboot the system (may not be necessary, but will be good insurance)
3. reconnect the printer
4. try printing.

If something causes the usb connection to get a different bus address it
will break the connection until the device is rescanned and reconfigured
by hal/udev/hotplug manager.  This may be your entire issue.