Re: Installing FC-5 with LVM

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>> I don't mind the installation suggesting a partitioning scheme,
>> but I think it ought to allow users to decide for themselves.
>
> It does.  There was a screen that asked if you wanted the installer to
> partition the disk (deleting all partitions or all Linux partitions) or if
> you wanted to do so manually.  If you pick manual partitioning, you'll see
> a tool that shows the current partition structure and allows you to modify
> it and assign partitions and LVs to filesystems.

I did actually make this choice.
(In fact I tried the installation both ways.)

I'll look at this again,
but as far as I could see the LVs I had created were removed,
and I did not see any invitation to create my own.

(I expected to be asked where I wanted to mount
the LVs I had already created,
by analogy with the procedure with "normal" partitions -
unless this too has been changed.)

IMHO, the people who designed the Fedora installation
are under a complete misapprehension of what "newbies" want.
I don't think anyone is put off by being given a choice
between "default" and "custom" procedures.
It should be part of the attraction of Linux that one has several choices.

What most people want, I believe, is
a clear description of different installation methods,
one of which is more or less certain to work.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366