Re: What is the language "British"?

Guillermo Garron wrote:
On 8/28/06, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

David Fletcher wrote:
> On Monday 28 August 2006 15:02, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> They are not the same in the context of language.  "English" is a
>> language while (whilst) "British-English" is regional.  In
>> "British-English" defense is written "defence".
>
> I think you've got it the wrong way around. "Defence" is the correct spelling.

Both are correct.

> In the American regional variation "defence" is written "defense". It's not

When you all say American, you mean US and Canada or only US, as lot
of US guys "think" that America is from Canada to Mexico (including
alaska, Hawaii and others), while actually America is from Alaska to
Tierra del fuego in Argentina.

This is one of my pet peeves and a way to dig at those from the US. I live in Canada so when someone says American, I say that I am one as well. The US citizens usually mean just themselves.

I guess if they want to use the term American citizens, they should look at all the Mexicans that want to enter the US and accept them. :)

--
Robin Laing