Re: What is the language "British"?

Charles Curley wrote:
On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 09:29:27AM -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I was installing FC-5 yesterday,
and I noticed that when asked to choose my language,
I was given an extensive list which included "British" but not "English".

I never heard this language described as "British" before.

To the ignorant masses, myself included, British and English are synonymous.

Perhaps you can clarify it?

I'm not sure it's capable of clarification, as there is a good 800
years (at least) of history, often bloody, and passions surrounding
the terminology. That said...

British, adj: having to do with the island of Britain, which has several
countries on it: Scotland, Wales, and England.

English, noun: A language originated in the country England. adj:
Having to do with England.

United Kingdom: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern
Ireland.

Great Britain: England, Scotland and Wales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_%28terminology%29,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_kingdom

I agree with Mr. Murphy. I have never heard "British" as the name of a
language. I suspect there are some Scots, Welsh and Irish who might
take umbrage at the notion.

And to add to this, many British people call it the "Queen's English".

There are allot of terms that can cause embarrassment for those from across the pond coming to North America.

Rubber in England is an eraser. Think of asking a girl in a bar for a rubber.

Fag is a cigarette.  Could be a quick way for a punch in the face.

There are others but best left off the list. :)
--
Robin Laing