Ethernet Card not detected

All,

I successfully helped my son get FC5 running on one of his machines
yesterday (Intel Celeron, 256MB Ram).  It seems to be mostly fine except
that it did not recognize the 3Com Etherlink III card (it is fairly old,
but I don't know if that basic technology has changed or not).  When I
go to Network Device Control, there is no device indicated.

Is there a log from the boot process that I can check to see if an error
was encountered in the detection process?
Is there a tool to detect and/or test the ethernet card?
I just need some idea where to start debugging what the issues are.
Although not a complete bonehead, I'm a pretty big newbie when it comes
to this network stuff, so any info would be helpful.

TIA,

Herb Smith