Re: FC5 and SATA drive -

Dean S. Messing wrote:
: I am contemplating buying a new SATA hard drive to add as
: the second drive in a newer Dell [P4  2.8gHz 512 megs RAM]
: computer that presently has one SATA drive and Windows XP
: installed.  I would like to add the second drive and install
: FC5 on it and dual boot.
: : It appears to me that it should be simply a matter of plugging
: in the cables and running the FC5 install DVD.  Are there
: pitfalls I should know about or can I expect this to simply work
: as expected?

Although I only have one SATA on my system (and one ATA), I was able
to install FC5 on it w/o problems.  The installer installed the
right modules (in my case, "ata_piix", "libata", sd_mod, and
"scsi_mod") and could see the drive fine. The system kernel booted
fine also.

I _did not_ try configuring grub to put the bootloader on the SATA.
For various reasons I put the stage 1 bootloader on a floppy and
booted off of that.  However grub was able to complete the boot with
the kernel on the SATA just fine, so there shd. be no problems in
booting.

Dean

       *Thanks Dean.  I keep thinking that perhaps I should really buy
       another ATA drive and use it since it could be used in one of
       the older boxes if needed but I think I will stick with SATA in
       that computer.  It sounds like I should be able to make it work.  *

       *BobG

       *