Re: iso cds downloaded to Windows 98se Desktop; can't understand how to checksum

nightrid3r wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson schreef:
>> Kam Leo wrote:
>>> You do not need to put sha1sum.exe into system32.  If you only want to
>>> use this program one time you could have saved it to the same folder
>>> as the .iso files.  However, since you already have sha1sum.exe in
>>> system32 you will not have to worry about adding a search path to
>>> invoke the utility.
>>>
>>> Here are the steps:
>>>
>>> 1. Click Start -> Run
>>> 2. Type cmd in the text box and click OK.
>>>    This will open what we old-timers call a DOS box.
>>> 3. Click the mouse cursor on the cmd.exe window/DOS box.
>>> 4. At the command prompt ">" symbol type:

>>> 5. Repeat "SHA1SUM name_of_file_to_check" as necessary.
>>>

>>> HTH
>>>
>> One minor point - when you are working at the command prompt in
>> Windows 98, you can not use long file names, so "cd c:\My Documents"
>> will not work. I would have to double check, but I believe it would
>> be something like "cd c:\my_docu~" instead.
>
>> Mikkel
>
> use cd c:\"My Documents" that should work
No, that will not work on a Windows 98 system ether. Remember,
Windows 98 is running on top of DOS, and when you drop to DOS, you
are limited to 8.3 file names.

Also, in Windows 98 you can click on the DOS Prompt menu entry to
get a DOS prompt window instead of run --> command.

Mikkel