Re: Problems Installing FC5

On 8/26/06, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 1:25 AM -0400 8/26/06, Rick Bilonick wrote:
>...So I
>think the main culprit is the DVD burner. I think I have the following
>install over my network (but I've never done this), 3) try to copy the
>iso to the hard drive - but the system is in an unbootable state so I
>don't know if this is now possible - but maybe I could do this using the
>Suse Live disk - I get a network connection, and 4) create bootable CDs
>instead of one DVD and see if the drive still fails.
>
>Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Use different media, either a different brand or a different type.  If you
are using DVD+Plus media, definitely try DVD-Dash media, as some burning
software doesn't know about DVD+Plus (and apparantly some burners try to
cope with DVD-Dash commands burning DVD+Plus media).

Upgrade your burner's firmware, from the manufacturer's (vendor's) web
site.  Such upgrades will teach the burner about current media
characteristics.  Even a "new" burner should be upgraded, and a "new"
burner can easily be over a year old.

Burn at a lower speed.

The .isos must be on a hard drive somewhere.  Fedora can read them across a
network via NFS or HTTP (if you serve them), or locally from EXT2/3 or from
FAT32.

Also some older drives are not able to read newer media. I doubt if
you will find new firmware for these old drives. I have multiple BTC
brand DVD-ROM drives, an old one that cannot read newer CD-RW and
DVD-R media and one six-months old that can read most media. Guess
what no firmware for the old drive and I'm unable to update the newer
drive because the Windows only update software does not work (Tried on
three different computers).