Re: kernel panic

On Fri August 25 2006 11:03, Peter Roopnarine wrote:
> Hi,
>   I hope that someone out there can help me. I have an 8-way Opteron
> running Fedora 5. Yesterday I attempted to add 8 Gb of ECC RAM to the
> current 8 Gb of ECC RAM, and upon selecting the OS from the GRUB menu got a
> kernel panic screen. I've since removed the new RAM, returning the memory
> configuration to exactly the starting state, and still no luck. I've also
> tried to run memtest86 but it hangs, and I cannot boot into linux rescue
> mode. The message that I get there is:
> kernel direct mapping tables up to 200000000 @ 8000-8000
> PANIC: early exception rip ffffffff801172db error 0 cr2 ffffffffff5fd023
> PANIC: early exception rip ffffffff801172db error 0 cr2 ffffffffff5fd023
>
> The system reports 7166 MB of memory present. I am going to try the memory
> modules one at a time, and hope that the problem lies there. A different
> hardware problem would not be good, and a hard disk problem would be
> horrible.

>   Thanks for any help!

I suppose the memory sockets are spotlessly clean? I have in the past taken
out a RAM module only to have a speck of (insulating) dust fall into the
socket. Replacing the same RAM back into the same slot gave a memory failure
that caused me no end of heart attacks and general grief. FWIW

Dave

--

I found one day in school a boy of medium size ill-treating a smaller boy. I
expostulated, but he replied: 'The bigs hit me, so I hit the babies; that's