Re: kernel panic

On Friday, Aug 25th 2006 at 11:03 -0700, quoth Peter Roopnarine:

=>Hi,
=>  I hope that someone out there can help me. I have an 8-way Opteron running
=>Fedora 5. Yesterday I attempted to add 8 Gb of ECC RAM to the current 8 Gb of
=>ECC RAM, and upon selecting the OS from the GRUB menu got a kernel panic
=>screen. I've since removed the new RAM, returning the memory configuration to
=>exactly the starting state, and still no luck. I've also tried to run
=>memtest86 but it hangs, and I cannot boot into linux rescue mode. The message
=>that I get there is:
=>kernel direct mapping tables up to 200000000 @ 8000-8000
=>PANIC: early exception rip ffffffff801172db error 0 cr2 ffffffffff5fd023
=>PANIC: early exception rip ffffffff801172db error 0 cr2 ffffffffff5fd023
=>
=>The system reports 7166 MB of memory present. I am going to try the memory
=>modules one at a time, and hope that the problem lies there. A different
=>hardware problem would not be good, and a hard disk problem would be
=>horrible.
=>  Thanks for any help!

I thought that memtest86 did not work on ecc memory. Has that been fixed?
Also, I believe that linux three different memory management paging
algorithms. Algorithm selection is done at kernel build time. It shouldn't
panic, but I would expect a performance impact. Other than that you just
have to play swapping games with figuring out which memory card or which
slot on the mudderboard is bad.

steveo at syslang.net