Re: Top command

On 8/25/06, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi ALL

I wanted to capture the dynamic output to a file.

I did run the below command

#top -d 1 > output

it doesnot work

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Hi Kaushal Shriyan!

Well, other than that you must use a ctl+c to stop the process (top
continues until stopped) and that the output, being designed to
"refresh" the screen contains a lot of screen control characters I
would say that it does work.  The file "expands" every three seconds
(I am using Dapper).

Now, after reading a bit of the top manual ("man top" from a terminal)
I tried "top -b > testtop-b.txt" and this time I tried a "q" to quit
(did not work, needed a ctl+c).  When I did stop it I got what I think
you were looking for.  Every three seconds (controllable by you so
says the manual) it printed another "screen" full of readable
characters to "testtop-b.txt" which I read with "less testtop-b.txt"
for its control of scrolling.

Have fun!

Tod