Re: Bug in Graphical Network Configuration???

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 15:44 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> What I was reffering as hostname was actually an aliases (may be
> windows hang over). Ohter windows machines recognized this one by the
> alias.

Again, they don't...  The hosts file only has any bearing on the machine
it's on.  It has nothing to do with other PCs.  You can do what you like
to the hosts file on a machine, and it has no bearing on anything other
PC.

Just think of it as having a pocket phone book in your pocket.  You've
got a list of friend's names and numbers.  It's only of any bearing to
you as you dial them.  If you have the wrong information, you're not
going to connect.  It's not going to stop any of those friends from
calling each other, your notes don't determine their names and numbers,
nor would writing your own details down incorrectly stop them from
calling you.

> I understand that the hostname is set in the /etc/sysconfig/network
> file which in my case is
>
> =========
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=zeent.locallan.org
> ========
>
> My question is not about this at all nor on how to do the networking
> but rather the issue related with
>
> 1. wiping out the "127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost" line and
> 2. restoring my old hostname and alias from middle of nowhere
>
> which all happened using graphical configuration.
>
> So to the question is:
>
> 1. Is this the bug of grahical tool (system-config-netowork)?

Possibly...  It might well depend on how you're using it.  Which, at
this stage, seems like it might be the case.

It does seem that if you have a hostname for a box, that isn't
associated with a particular interface or address, that it might add the
hostname to the localhost information.  I've seen that before, but then
I'd have to seriously mess up my networking, to test the circumstances.

--
Bye,
Tim (from Modbury, near Adelaide, South Australia).

I read messages from the public lists.