Re: Samba, SELinux, Printing problem

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 13:36 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 20:54 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > and since you are going to allow 'raw' printing, you have to enable
> > raw printing within cups...
>
> Just for curiosity's sake, when it then comes to printing from Windows,
> do you:
>
>       * Install a driver for that model of printer on Windows, and use
>         Windows drivers to create the data sent over Samba?
>       * Install a driver from Samba onto Windows for sending printer
>         data over Samba?
>       * Something else?
>
> In the past, I had tried installing a PostScript driver on Windows to
> send generic PostScript data to the Linux print server, but I could
> never get that work.
----
You can use the postscript driver (the Adobe Postscript printer driver is recommended) and the cups ppd if you want...I prefer that myself and I didn't mean to up the complexity for OP.

In that case, you wouldn't need the 'raw' options. In that case, you
might not want to 'allow client driver' to be set to yes but that's a
bit trickier. The 'raw' options allow Windows users to use the native
drivers supplied on CD or downloaded from the vendor off the Internet.
The raw drivers basically bypass ghostscript interpreter.

I generally use samba as a PDC and use the printer wizard, do not allow
a client driver and the users can get the driver automatically loaded
just by finding the printer and adding it.

Craig