Re: Time synch problem

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 16:44 -0400, Beartooth wrote:
> It seems like every time I think to look, the fool thing is at least
> several minutes off. Right now, for instance, the watch is barely short of
> 4:40, and the applet says 4:48. (I last reset it only days ago.)

If it's drifting while the computer is running, and wrong when you boot
up, you might have one of those systems which needs some customising to
get the clock to run right.

If it's drifting while it's off you might just have to replace the CMOS
battery, or run ntpdate after connecting, or make sure that NTP runs
continuously without problems.

I had a problem with NTP on dial-up, it'd stop working after
disconnection, and wouldn't start up again after a new connection.  I
ran a script that restarted NTP after a dial-up connection went up, to
work around that issue.  I haven't had that issue since going to
broadband, as the PC's public-facing LAN NIC is on a fixed IP address.
The router changes IP, not the PC, so the NTP daemon doesn't stop
"listening" if there's an accidental disconnection, it just stops
"working" until reconnected.

I read messages from the public lists.