Re: FC5 ipw3945 problem on laptop

-dpet wrote:
-> Thanks again for the excellent help. Sadly, I'm still in trouble. I
-have
-> followed the above exactly, I hope. However, on booting up and
-getting
-> to the login prompt, the screen has a  multi-line error and a Kernel
-> panic.  That makes it hard to print the whole error here, but it
-starts
-> with:
->       BUG: spinlock bad magic on CPU#0, net
-hotplug/2359Tainted:GF    )
-> and goes on with mentions of "ipw handle"   etc etc
->
->       I can overcome this by removing the ipw3945-ucode
-from /lib/firmware.
-> but I can't seem to change the error by fiddling with various things.
->
->       By the way, the laptop is a Dell 9400.
->
-> Any other ideas would be appreciated.

-Sorry, I don't know the cause of that.  I'd try to make sure you don't
-have remnants of previous install attempts laying around.  I've
-installed from source and from the atrpms and not had problems like
-that.  I have a Dell E1705, AKA 9400.

-You might try searching the ipw3945 mailing list and bugzilla as well
-as the atrpms list and bugzilla.

	Thanks again, Todd
	I may have been misleading people. I'll start the story from the
beginning.
	I acquired this Dell 9400, to replace my Toshiba (that didn't seem to
like Fedora much) and installed kernel-2054 from DVD.  Having got the
ethernet set up, I did a yum update kernel and it installed kernel
2174-smp.  Is this a correct thing for core duo systems?
	Well, to cut a long story short, I now find that kernel-2174 responds
correctly to the installation of ipw3945, but I still have this error
and kernel panic with the smp version. Strange when an article covers
this on a Samsung, using a slightly earlier kernel-smp, with no problem.

			http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/samsung.html

Well, I will use the working version for now, but see if I can somehow
sort out the smp in the future
Thanks everybody for your help (and patience!)

DP
South Australia