Re: Bug in Graphical Network Configuration???

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 00:28 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
<snip>
> My question is still remains:
> Does this utility just wipes out everything and rewrites without
> considering what is already been configured?

system-config-network maintains a tree of configuration files
under /etc/sysconfig/networking/....  Some of these files are hardlinked
to the "real" files under /etc/, /etc/sysconfig/
and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ and others are copied when you CHOSE
to SAVE from within system-config-network.....  The reason behind this
is to support multiple "profiles" with completely different settings.
The hardlinked files would be OK when editing them outside of
system-config-network.  The problem you experienced is one that is not
hardlinked, though I am not sure "how" you changed your name before, see
below....

Now, back to your original problem.  The machine's "name" is initially
set to the HOSTNAME= variable found in /etc/sysconfig/network, which
happens to be one of the files that system-config-network will fix when
needed....  The /etc/hosts file is simply used by the name service
client resolver on the machine to translate "locally" names into numbers
and vice versa - it has nothing to do with "setting" your hostname.  Nor
does it have anything to do with how "others" perceive your hostname.
Others will translate some hostname into your number based on the DNS
servers that "they" are configured to point to.....

Now the flip side that you did not ask....

Are you doing Dynamic DNS?  If you are this should have been part of
"providing good information" for the people that are trying to help
you....  If not, hopefully the above is pointing you in the correct
direction....

--Rob