Re: Samba

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 01:35 -0700, Lee wrote:
> I've had success in connecting my Windows XP machine to samba on both
> Red Hat 7.1 and Fedora Core 4, but no joy when it comes to Fedora Core 5.
>
> I have my Windoz machine set for clear password, and same for the fedora
> machines, but just can't seem to get them to communicate.  Is this some
> new "feature" in Core 5 or am I missing something here?

One thing that I ran into is that starting in FC5, the Fedora folks
started following the ways of the Samba developers, and FC5 is no longer
using Samba. It is now CIFS (Common Internet File System, from the Samba
developers).

So try:
  mount -t cifs //WinServer/MountPoint /mnt/winbox

Doing man mount.cifs will give you some more information about mounting
CIFS

In my /etc/fstab, I use (watch for line wrap):
//WinServer/MountPoint  /mnt/winbox  cifs
noauto,rw,users,credentials=/pathtofile,uid=me,gid=me  0  0

I have also read that using CIFS will not work when connecting to old
samba exports from older boxes, unless that box is running the latest
version of Samba. I updated samba on one of my RH9 boxes, with the one
delivered by Fedora Legacy, and I can connect my RH9 and FC5 boxes.

HTH,
--
Doug

Random Thought:
I guess it was all a DREAM ... or an episode of HAWAII FIVE-O ...