Re: setting host name for dhcp

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 20:33 +0000, Kahn Seidl wrote:
> I've already done this, yet my machine remains unpingable from
> $HOSTNAME.whatever.whatever.com

This would probably be because the DHCP server assigning you an IP
address doesn't take your preferred hostname and add it to a DNS server
that your machine is querying, or you're not querying the right DNS
server.

> and hostname -f returns the right hostname.

That's because you've asked the machine what it thinks its own name is,
and it responded by itself.

For what you want to work, several things have to happen:

      * Your PC asks the DHCP server to give it an IP address, and it
        also requests to use a specific hostname.
      * The DHCP server has to accept that hostname and add it to a DNS
        server, it should also tell your PC to use *that* DNS server.
      * Your PC should accept the IP address, as well as use the DNS
        server addresses supplied by the DHCP server, and no other ones
        (they won't resolve your local addresses).

Since you've mentioned you're on your work's network, you mayn't be able
to change the way their DHCP and DNS servers work.  Though it could be
that they're already set up to work that way, and you're just not
talking to their DHCP server in the way it expects.

You might want to show us your dhclient.conf file, as well as give us
examples of what addresses the DHCP server sets your PC up as.

I read messages from the public lists.