Re: removing old Kernels

Greeting Jose,

Pichin wrote:
Can someone tell me how to remove old kernels, I have about 5 old kernels and only use one (the most recent one)..

There are two places that you have to visit .

1. the /boot directory

In here you will find a set of three files for each kernel version that you have installed for example

initrd-2.6.17.8.img
System.map-2.6.17.8
vmlinuz-2.6.17.8

If you wish to remove the 2.6.17.8 kernel then you will have to remove the above three files .

Beware of one thing here

There is a symbolic link for System.map
You will have to make sure that it doesn't point in our
example to System.map-2.6.17.8
Also there is a symbolic link for vmlinuz , so again you will have to pay attention that it doesn't point to the file you want to delete .

After you clean the above set of 3 files from the boot directory ( initrd,System.map,vmlinuz) you have to go to the /lib/modules/ directory
There is the location that the kernel modules are stored .
Delete all the directories that corespond to the kernels that you don't want to keep .

HTH,

Kostas