FC-5 my display (fonts) looks terrible

I updated today and ended up rebooting and my fonts are all poorly
bit-mapped, whether I use KDE or GNOME and I even created a new user and
the problem is the same.

I previously added the mstcorefonts and Adobe Type Basics to the fonts
normally installed and I don't know if that would impact this but the
display is terrible in Evolution and in Firefox though Oo seems fine.

Any clues?

Craig