Re: 2 fedora installations on 2 differntes disk

On 8/22/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 04:57 -0400, Franck Y wrote:
> On 8/21/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 10:01 -0400, Franck Y wrote:
> > > Hello Folks,
> > >
> > > I have a problem which is really annoying me.
> > > I have a hard drive where the FC4 is installed and the other one where
> > > the FC5 is installed...
> > > I wanted to mount the FC4 on the FC5 to transfer all the data (around
> > > 45 Go), and apparently i cannot make it like this because the LVM are
> > > labelled as the same name... So i m stuck, i've seen many way to do it
> > > but for several of them i can loose data. And i don t want this. I do
> > > have backup, but it sis tape backup so too long.
> > > Anyone has a bullet proof operation or a tutorial to easily do this !
> > > thansk you
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Franck
> > >

> > > --
> > > Franck
> > >
> > This was a problem identified in Linux Journal but I could not get
> > anyone to get to exited about it so I dropped it.
> >
> > Are both the FC5 and FC4 in the same LVN. If so you have a problem. If
> > not the solution is easy. Relabel the FC4 disk or use its /dev/hdx to
> > mount it somewhere else.
> >
> > Please clarify the problem a little more.
> > --
> >
> Thanks for your help !
>
> What do you mean but in the same LVN ?
> There are in two differents disk.
> I try to mount it /dev/hdb, but the only thing that i was able to
> mount was the grub on this
> disk (it as ext3). How did u mont it ? i might have a wrong typo somewhere
>
> Franck
Ok, let forget about the LVN question, since as I understand  that is
not your situation. It seems to me if the FC5 system is booted from
another disk, you could mount a partition from disk /dev/hdb (let us
say /dev/hdb1  (containing the FC4 partiton) by executing:
mount -t ext3 -o default /dev/hdb1 /mnt/fc4

Then the files on that partition would be available to you. A line
in /etc/fstab such as:
/dev/hdb1  /mnt/fc4 ext3 defaults 0 0
would do the same thig.

Or am I missing what you problen is?

Hello Aaron,
Thanks you for you help.
The problem was i have two disk with two installations of fedora.
If i put both disk in the same time i could only see the primary disk,
the reason why is that both LVM are labelled with the same name.

So i Had to change the second disk name with VolGroupXX.

To do it i had to use a live cd with LVM support (i used unbuntu)
since  i cannot do it in rescue  mode.

I unplug my first disk and boot with the live cd

after that i did this

# vgscan
# vgchange --available n
# vgrename VolGroup00 VolGroup99 //i used 99 but you can use what you want

And shutdown the computer

When i reboot it did this

#vgscan
#vgchange --available y

and i mounted the hardrive like this
# mount /dev/VolGroup99/Vol2 /mnt/old_disk //Vol1 is boot and i don t need it

And it works

i have detailed the answer in case it can be useful for someone else.

Franck