Re: caching-namserver

On 22Aug2006 04:12, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| >>And the need to rewrite "resolv.conf" after reboot is bothersome as is the
| >>loss of the cached address data when that is done although I suspect
| >>that may be done to accommodate address changes?
| >*
| >Well, you can prevent "resolv.conf" from being overwritten.  You uncheck
| >the "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider" selection in
| >the configuration of your Internet connection.
| >*
| That wouldn't be a viable solution.

I've been doing the dhclient kickoff, then sucking the DNS entries out
of /etc/resolv.conf into the named.conf file, starting the local named,
and putting 127.0.0.1 in my resolv.conf for quite a while now. This:

  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/bin/rig-named.conf

sucks the IPs from /etc/resolv.conf and the whole incantation after DHCP
has run is:

  if rig-named.conf
  then
    bsed '/nameserver/d' /etc/resolv.conf
    echo nameserver 127.0.0.1 >>/etc/resolv.conf
  fi

bsed and rlr come from the same script collection.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Here was a man who not only had a ready mind and a quick wit,
but could also sing.    - _Rope_