Re: Postfix SMTP AUTH Problem

Chong Yu Meng schrieb:

Hi all,

I am trying to configure SMTP AUTH on an FC5 development system and I'm
seeing something strange and hoping someone can help.

This is my environment:
Postfix version: 2.2.8-1.2
Cyrus SASL: 2.1.21

My Postfix is configured to host virtual domains (cymulacrum.cym and
virago.cym) and delivers mail via lmtp to Cyrus IMAP. The authentication
system I am using is not PAM but sasldb2. I have created the following
accounts inside sasldb2:

[root@aeonflux log]# sasldblistusers2 admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
dick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
harry@xxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
jill@xxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
admin@xxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
jack@xxxxxxxxxx: userPassword

Now, I have already configured Postfix for SMTP AUTH and I am able to
successfully authenticate with admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, by using:
username: admin
password: admin

But when I try to authenticate using:
username: tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
password: tom (yes, the password is correct -- I'm using weak passwords
because this is for a tutorial I am conducting)

I get an authentication error. I get errors for all the other accounts
except the one above. I suspect that I have to define the realm
somewhere instead of just using the "@domain", but I really don't know
where to begin looking.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, the realm (domain) in the sasldb2 matters. You have to SMTP AUTH with the full username as listed by sasldblistuser2. The fact that the first listed one works without the realm given is simply that that is your default realm.

If you encode for testing using perl, be sure to escape the "@" character:

perl -MMIME::Base64 -e 'print encode_base64("tom\@cymulacrum.cym\0tom\@cymulacrum.cym\0testpass");

Alexander