Re: IST for system, local time for people

hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Tim wrote:
> [...]
>> Is your local time supposed to be different than IST?
> [...]
>
> Generally, yes.  Sometimes it might be the same, if your local time is
> GMT (Grenwich Mean Time).
>

> IST ?=? International Standard Time
>
> It's "good" for computers because:
>
> 1.)  no daylight savings, the clock never moves
> 2.)  your clock and my clock, if they both use IST, will have the same
> time regardless of where we are.
> 3.)  Good for traveling laptops, which move from one timezone to another.
>
> It's similar to how the military uses zulu (GMT) to synchronize their
> operations, same concept, similar benefits.

I like to set the hardware clock to UTC, and then set the time zome
for the computer to the local time zone. That way, the system takes
care of things like daylight savings time automatically, but things
like cron jobs run based on local time. The only drawback is that
the timestamp in the logs can get confusing sometimes, because while
most things are logged using local time, some things are logged
using the hardware clock...

The way I understand it, regardless of how you have your hardware
clock set, Linux uses UTC internally, and converts to local time as
necessary to display the time/date. At least it does if you have set
things up correctly. It is possible to have the hardware clock set
to local time, tell Linux it is set to UTC, and that UTC is the
local time zone. (You have to work at it to set it up this way...)

Mikkel