Re: IST for system, local time for people

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Tim wrote:
[...]
Is your local time supposed to be different than IST?
[...]

Generally, yes. Sometimes it might be the same, if your local time is GMT (Grenwich Mean Time).

IST ?=? International Standard Time

It's "good" for computers because:

1.)  no daylight savings, the clock never moves
2.) your clock and my clock, if they both use IST, will have the same time regardless of where we are.
3.)  Good for traveling laptops, which move from one timezone to another.

It's similar to how the military uses zulu (GMT) to synchronize their operations, same concept, similar benefits.

--
Thufir
<http://hawat.thufir.googlepages.com/>