Re: Crappy HDDs Killing Computers

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Marc  wrote:

Uh, Seagate just bought Maxtor, fyi.

I have had a lot of trouble with shuttle machines and seagate drives that
get hot and BURN UP due to bad design of the case which doesn't dissipate
heat.  It only happens with the second drive installed.  I have replaced
some seagates with Maxtor drives and I have not had the problem.  I am
convinced that it is not a 'bad batch' of drives since the machines were
bought over a time period of about a year.

That's my hard drive story of the day.

I used to heat my apartment with a 4.2gig Seagate SCSI drive.

No, I am not kidding.  It ran that hot.  (And it was a small apartment.)

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink