Re: usb keyboard aargh!

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> To make things more interesting, sometimes the problem is a USB 1.1
> device on a USB 2.0 controller. I can't remember the devices off
> hand, but I have run into a couple of USB devices that said they
> would work at 2.0 speeds when they really couldn't. They would work
> fine when hooked to a USB 1.1 controller or hub, but not when hooked
> to a 2.0 controller or hub.

I understand that Linux will sometimes refuse to run USB devices if
according to the specs they wouldn't have enough power (e.g. if they're
bus-powered but plugged into an unpowered hub), whereas Windows will.
This has been the source of some controversy, but the USB kernel hackers
don't want to be responsible for lost data if users plug a USB disk in
where it might not get enough power. See, for example,
http://lwn.net/Articles/186331/

To *add* to the confusion, some *cables* will work with full-speed
(12 Mbit/s) peripherals, but not with hi-speed (480 Mbit/s [1]).

Unfortunately, the cables leading to the front USB ports on my
case are like this: plug in a hi-speed device directly and it won't
work, go via a full-speed hub and it will. I can swap the cables with
the ones leading to the extra rear USB ports on a blanking plate by the
PCI slots, and the problems stay with the cables. Stuff plugged into the
rear USB ports works perfectly...

James.

[1] Yes, the speeds are badly named. If this surprises you, you haven't
been paying attention to the computer industry for long enough yet...

--
New address: james  |     "Why is it we never meet anyone nice?"
@aprilcottage.co.uk |     "Why is it we never meet anyone who can shoot