Re: FC5 Installation Killing Computers

Tim wrote:

If a hard drive is failing, and sits there going "click whirr whump",
repeatedly, it's the hard drive that does that all by itself.  You can
demonstrate this by powering up such a drive without any operating
system running.

Good point. I just powered up (using a different PSU) both drives disconnected from anything else for an hour, no clicks. Just sayin'.

If you're referring to a system that parks a drive when it's not being
used for a while (sleeping/hibernating/etc.), I've not seen Linux do
that by default, but it's a default behaviour for a few versions of
Windows.

What was observed here by tailing /var/log/messages were log entries along the lines of "SATA removed" then "SATA added" as if the drive was being rediscovered, happening at intervals of ten seconds or so IIRC.

-Andy