Re: caching-namserver

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 18:24 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> But can caching-nameserver be configured with a list of ad sites
> it will always reject as not valid? That would be the real value
> add :-).

Yes, but you'll have to redo the configuration if you update the name
server (simple enough to do if you keep a backup, you've just got to
remember to so).  The caching package is a pre-configured system.  You
can manually configure the server in the same way, not using the caching
pre-configuration package, to avoid that little snag.

I have a collection of entries in my /etc/named.conf file like this:

 ------- begin paste -------
zone "doubleclick.net"          { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "doubleclick.com"          { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "ads.optusnet.com.au"      { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
 ------- end paste -------

And this is the /var/named/chroot/var/named/dead.zone file:

 ------- begin paste -------
$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     ns.localdomain.  hostmaster.mail.localdomain. (
                        200 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; ttl
                        )

        IN      NS      ns.localdomain.
 ------- end paste -------

It ensures that there is no IP address returned for the query, at all,
so they instantly fail (may require configuration of some browsers not
to throw up annoying pop-up error warnings in the way).

I found this better than directing all queries at a real IP address.  It
was slower, and meant that I had to have a local webserver running.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.