Re: caching-namserver

Ed Greshko wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:

*Ethereal might work but set-up is beyond me!  I'll have to look at that
for a while.  But "locate" found "tetehereal" which showed DNS activity
clearly on the first lookup and nothing on subsequent tries which I
interpret as an indication that it is working.  The times measured with "host" are
still varying widely from as little as ~10 ms to typically a bit more than 100 ms?

Could be a function of how busy your system and/or CPU size, memory, etc.

And the need to rewrite "resolv.conf" after reboot is bothersome as is the
loss of the cached address data when that is done although I suspect
that may be done to accommodate address changes?
*
Well, you can prevent "resolv.conf" from being overwritten.  You uncheck
the "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider" selection in
the configuration of your Internet connection.
*
That wouldn't be a viable solution.
*
You will lose the cache on a reboot since that information is contained
in memory.

Also, if you don't access a given site again within the time specified
by the TTL (Time To Live) setting of the master DNS the cache for the
host will be cleared and a new request will be sent.
*
*Interesting, now I'm curious to see what "TTL" is set to?
*
*
Ed
*