Re: booting from the network

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 18:52 -0400, jim lawrence wrote:
> On 8/21/06, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Jon,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the link... It will be a good place to start gathering
> > > information.  Was hoping that FC5 had the ability within itself!!
> > >
> > > Greg
> >
> > yum install ltsp-utils
> >
> > then (as root):
> > ltspadmin
> >
> > Install the packages, then select configure, then hit 'c' for configure.
> >
> > You'll need to be running dhcpd, tftp, and nfs - the ltspcfg utility
> > should take care of the configs for you.  You'll also need a floppy
> > for the workstation to boot from - that can be generated at
> > rom-o-matic.net, or you can download the program yourself and generate
> > then yourself.
> >
> > I've been running ltsp for years now - using "garbage" as workstations
> > gives me some type of perverse pleasure...
> >
> > HTH,
> > Chris
> >
> > --
> >

> You can place the images on a nfs share and type the ip and path to
> the images of the boot cd   on each client
> --
>

> Registered Linux User: #376813
> www.fedorajim.homelinux.com

Chris,

Thanks for your post...Looks like what I need has already been developed
and is being used.  I downloaded ltsp to my FC5 server without
difficulties.  I am not sure how to use the run-o-matic.net set yet, but
am not finished with my study.

Jim, I am not sure I understand your advice.  The units I want to use do
have floppy discs, and CD's.  I will probably have some additional
questions once I get into the details.

Thanks to all of you for help!!!

Greg