backspace, delete woes

With FC5, I have a problem I didn't have with FC3.
When, from an xterm, I ssh to another machine,
vi on the remote machine does not like my backspace key.
Control-h  works, but the backspace key generates control-?,
which I take to be delete=0x7f.
Apparently I am sending the delete character:
home/hennebry> stty raw
home/hennebry> head -c 11 | od -a > sushi.txt
                                             12345^H^H^?^?zzhome/hennebry>
stty cooked
      home/hennebry>
home/hennebry> cat sushi.txt
0000000   1   2   3   4   5  bs  bs del del   z   z
0000013
home/hennebry>

Oddly, xev says that control-h and backspace both generate
decimal 08, though different keysyms are involved.

How can I fix this?
A fix is making the backspace key work
like a backspace on the remote vi.
I am root on my mchine, but not the remote machine.

It would also be good to know what is going on, e.g.
why xev claims that control-h and backspace generate
the same character though nothing else does.

--
Mike   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"it stands to reason that they weren't always called the ancients."