Re: upgraded FC3 to FC4 and then FC4 to FC5

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Ric Moore wrote:

I'm probably going to go this route.  I just need some time.  My
weekends have been busy this summer, but the last two in August are so
far empty.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
I tried the yum upgrade... never will I do that again.

Why?

[Very occasionally it is the only option, in my experience,
eg neither the CDs nor hard disk installation worked with FC5
on my Sony Picturebook (C1FVK) - now sadly defunct -
but yum upgrade did, although it took 12 hours.]

I had to opt for yum upgrade vs. using the installer on my upgrade from FC4 to FC5. I used the downloaded dvd content to setup local repositories. The installer gave an exception. It was the final release. I filed a bug report, but it would not yield results. Everything worked fine except for a network problem where the interfaces had to be disabled and then enabled afterward on initial install. Later with the updates for FC5, the problem was fixed by an upgraded group of packages. Depending on the intended usage for the machine, upgrades are a great option. I would rather not have to configure setups for the many services that I use roughly every six months. Fresh installs are great if you want the system to have all of the latest configuration defaults and do not want to chance that something you used to use is gone from the distribution or the defaults are very poor for the intended usage of the system.

If the installer worked well for every system and intended system use, using the installer would be ideal.

Jim

--
Encyclopedia for sale by father.  Son knows everything.