Re: CD writer configuration problems

On 8/18/06, Daniel B Bicknell <dbicknel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

I am running Fedora Core 5 and I'm having problems getting a backup program
called "CDTAR" to function and I was wondering if someone might be able to
help me out.  The problem seems to lie in getting the program to
successfully interact with my CD writer.  That is, the program functions
properly until it is time to write the data to the CD, but then it tells me
over and over that the CD I have inserted is not blank.  At no time does the
indicator light on the CD come on.  I suspect the problem is that I have
incorrectly identified the CD writer.

The CD writer is the second CD drive on my system.  The computer itself is a
Compaq Presario 5BW16x, the CD writer is identified by Compaq as CDRW
4x4x32x QTZ all (I realize that is probably not very helpful but that is as
much as I know).

I think that the reason I am having problems configuring the settings for
the CD writer is that is just does not appear to be mounted – I can't find
anything in /dev that seems to represent it.  Other programs that I have
tried to get to access the CD writer have met similar problems; HOWEVER, if
I use the CD writing utility in GNOME, it works fine.

Can anyone offer any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Bicknell