Re: new mplayer builds eliminate need for win32 codecs?

Jeff Vian wrote:
On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 18:25 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 09:39 -0500, Marc Schwartz wrote:
Gilboa Davara wrote:
I usually chroot to an old 32bit FC4 install in-order to view wmv files.
If indeed it works, this is a -big- step forward.
With gnash slowly taking shape and native 64bit OO planned for FC6, the
only 32bit application I plan on running is Quake 4 :)

Gilboa

FWIW, on the off chance you folks have not seen this, you might want to review this article on Real Networks' agreement with MS to provide open source codecs:

   http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-6105970.html

HTH,

Marc Schwartz
Snow in hell.
Pigs flying around me.
RealPlayer releases codecs under GPL.

What's next? OpenWindowsVistaGPL?

j/k... I'm no license fanboy, but somehow I don't see them releasing
their codecs, source open or not, under GPL and such, it is useless when it comes to mplayer / xine.

GIlboa

The correction at the bottom of that article says it all.  The support
will be in the proprietary realplayer, not open sourced.

Thanks for noting that Jeff. So RealPlayer and not Helix will get the codecs.

Too bad.

Marc