Re: FAILED for eth0

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 19:47 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:

> > > Yes, Chong, I did change my Ethernet card. I suppose that kudzu runs
> > > at boot time and it did not write the new MAC address into the
> > > configuration file.
> >
> > I don't think kudzu notices a different MAC address.  It would notice
> > a different type of NIC, but then it would force you to reconfigure
> > it with an IP address or dhcp setting before starting it.  That's
> > not at all handy when you prepare swappable disks and have someone
> > else install them at a remote site, expecting to ssh in as soon as
> > they come up.
>
> But my question persists: should not Fedora automatically update MAC
> addresses? And if it should, should one fill a bug at Bugzilla?

I think it is intended behavior - that is, it goes out of it's way
to not apply an existing configuration to a different NIC that it
detects as the same eth? device regardless of the reason.  Personally
I think that will do the wrong thing more times than right, but
someone worked to make it happen like that.  If you don't like it
you can just edit out the HWADDR line from the file.  Maybe you could
file a feature request to make the GUI have an option to tie the config
to the HWADDR or not.

It can't really know if you swapped the NIC, added a new one that
wasn't supposed to become eth0, removed one and let some other
interface shift up to the eth0 slot, if the kernel detection
order changed (again), or you've restored onto completely different
but matching hardware.  Only in the swap or restore cases could it do
something reasonable automatically.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx